disabled visual editor, wordpress artifacts & text

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks disabled visual editor, wordpress artifacts & text

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Marcy 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jhguynn
    Participant

I disable the visual editor when I’m designing a site because I’ve found that WP has the habit of adding stuff into my content / code. I’ve heard people recommend the “raw” plugin to keep code clean, but since I’m comfortable with html and css, I just write it straight into the html window and leave the visual editor out of the conversation.

I notice in Genesis themes, even with the visual editor disabled, I can just type away, insert a “return” for a new paragraph, and all is well. Is this a WP thing? or is it the way Genesis / Studiopress themes behave by design? I’m used to including opening and closing “p” tags for paragraph separation.

Clearly, heading tags play their own role for structural division and styling within a page or post. But what is the best practice with Genesis / Studiopress for handling paragraph separation? Visual editor required? Insert “p” tags?

Thanks for the feedback.

Marcy
    Participant

In the text editor, WordPress doesn’t add p tags (or retain) unless you assign a style or id, so you don’t need to add them. A return will take care of adding paragraphs. And the CSS in the theme will take care of the spacing between paragraphs. If you look at the source of the rendered page in the browser, you will see the p tags.

jhguynn
    Participant

Marcy, thanks. That clears it up for me.

Marcy
    Participant

You’re welcome!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.