Displaying and hiding custom fields conditionally

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Displaying and hiding custom fields conditionally

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lucaslem 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lucaslem
    Participant

Hello,

I have created a block of code in order to display some custom fields for a cpt:

//* Custom fields for workshop intro and registration call to action
    add_action( 'genesis_before_entry_content', 'ismh_workshops_acf' );
    function ismh_workshops_acf() {
        if ( is_single() && 'workshops' == get_post_type() )
        echo

'<p class="workshop-intro">' . genesis_get_custom_field('workshop_intro') . '</p>

<div class="registration-cta clearfix">
            <div class="workshop-info">
                <p class="workshop-info-data"><span class="workshop-info-callout">Date: </span>' . genesis_get_custom_field('workshop_date') . '</p>
                <p class="workshop-info-data"><span class="workshop-info-callout">Location: </span>' . genesis_get_custom_field('workshop_location') . '</p>
            </div>
            <a class="button" href="' . genesis_get_custom_field('registration_link') . '">Register Now!</a>
        </div>';
    }

Not every workshop will be scheduled at all times. Is there some conditional code I could add which would prevent the entire .registration-cta div from displaying when the three custom fields within it are empty? In other words, when the editor leaves the workshop_date, workshop_location, or registration_link fields blank, the div will not render.

lucaslem
    Participant

Used the ACF repeater fields addon and pretty sure I’ve solved my own issue:

//* Workshop registration call to action 
    add_action( 'genesis_before_entry_content', 'ismh_workshops_registration_acf' );
    function ismh_workshops_registration_acf() {
        if ( is_single() && 'workshops' == get_post_type() && get_field('registration_details') )

while( has_sub_field('registration_details') ):

echo
                '<div class="registration-cta clearfix">
                    <div class="workshop-info">
                        <p class="workshop-info-data"><span class="workshop-info-callout">Date: </span>' . get_sub_field('workshop_date') . '</p>
                        <p class="workshop-info-data"><span class="workshop-info-callout">Location: </span>' . get_sub_field('workshop_location') . '</p>
                    </div>
                    <a class="button" href="' . get_sub_field('registration_link') . '">Register Now!</a>
                 </div>';

endwhile;

}

Turns out when the fields are blank nothing displays :) The learning curve is steep, but I’m getting there! If anyone sees anything horrendous about this code, please do chime in. Thanks!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  lucaslem.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  lucaslem.

kfukawa
    Participant

The only thing I’d worry about is if only one of the sub-fields (i.e. either Date or Location) was entered, but not the other – unless you don’t mind having one of them blank.

You could always do something like:

if ( genesis_get_custom_field(‘workshop_date’) )
    echo ‘<p class=”workshop-info-data”><span class=”workshop-info-callout”>Date: </span>’ . get_sub_field(‘workshop_date’) . ‘</p>';

and the same thing for location…

lucaslem
    Participant

Thanks kfukawa, you’re absolutely right. This case didn’t occur to me as it’s highly unlikely, given these are scheduled workshops, that they would have a date without a location, link etc (or any combination). However, I will refactor the code as you suggest just in case.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.