Genesis and Sensei plugin

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis and Sensei plugin

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Kellylise 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

David Chu
    Participant

Hi All,
    Thanks for the positive comments, and I’m glad that we appear to be on the same page!

It certainly would be helpful if Woo were to make a tutorial specifically for Genesis. I can, to a degree, see why they won’t. They may think that if they do that, then that opens up the floodgates for users of dozens of other frameworks to demand tutorials for their stuff. Their support, I’m told by many, is problematic to begin with, and their, I don’t know, maybe 12.3 support techs may be at their wits’ end just doing very basic support. So rather than ruin their PR even more, maybe they are just hurriedly reporting Woo bugs to their coders and leaving it at that. I suppose what they could do is publish tips for maybe 4 or 5 top frameworks, and then just shrug for the rest. :-) Unless their sales sag, I don’t see them changing their support policy, and Woo is ever so popular now. People are naturally attracted to bright and shiny objects. :-)

At least Woo puts a decent number of ID’s and classes on their markup. Many plugin coders are, well, great at coding, but they don’t pay much attention to CSS, so it’s very hard to re-style their stuff beyond very basic changes. In cases like that, I may resort to jQuery coding for a non-invasive fix – one could also hack their plugin code, but then you’re in for more plugin upgrade hassles, and may void any plugin support they would have provided. And it could be even worse – just look at almost any Facebook plugin. :)

Some possible good news is that if someone needs to hire an extra geek to fix Woo (or other) plugin output, sometimes the fix can be pretty quick, at least speaking for myself, but of course, not always.

Cheers, Dave

[shout out to essaysnark!]

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

David Chu
    Participant

Hi,
    I just wrote a blog Post about my forays into Woo Sensei. Don’t get too excited, no magic cure or anything, but hopefully informative.

Dave

Dave Chu · Custom WordPress Developer – likes collaborating with Designers

mantabrook
    Participant

All of you are lifesavers and so much more helpful than anyone at Woo. Can Studiopress work on plugins that are similar to WooCommerce & Sensei? I’d rather spend my money here. :)

braddalton
    Participant

Is it a good plugin?

bmaven
    Participant

It’s really not very good. Woo has a habit of pushing things to market before they’re very good, and they work the bugs out with all the first people who buy. The client I installed for initially told me she hated it and we went with Wishlist Member to deliver her e-courses instead. Maybe it will be decent in the future, but for now, save your money.

Hope this helps!

Blogging growth strategist & revenue coach at The Blog Maven, fearless leader of 3 preschoolers…tweeting it up @theblogmaven

braddalton
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

NathanBWeller
    Participant

Hello All,

I’m in the process of publishing a course with Sensei and I’m having some basic layout issues. The sidebar on my lessons and courses keeps getting bumped down below the content. Apparently this is a common problem and there is an ALMOST helpful tutorial in the sensei documentation under the heading “Adjusting the Wrappers” (at the bottom). Except that the code snippets I need to use are written for Canvas and I’m not sure how to adapt them for Genesis with the Prose child theme.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Best,

Nathan B Weller

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  NathanBWeller.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  NathanBWeller.

braddalton
    Participant

Interesting question Nathan and would love to help however its very hard to test the solution properly unless the plugin is activated using the same theme.

Could you also please link to a url where your sidebar is below your content.

NathanBWeller
    Participant

braddalton
    Participant

I think you should be able to find the correct div classes using this visual markup guide http://www.genesisframework.com/markup.php

Hard to test this solution without having a copy of the plugin. http://docs.woothemes.com/document/sensei-theming/

This may help http://www.studiopress.com/forums/topic/genesis-and-sensei-plugin/#post-42898

Kellylise
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.