Genesis landing page help

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Genesis landing page help

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 29 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tom 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

streak

Thanks all for the support.
    My plan is to get full total control soon and to then find another partner to help us going forward.
    Before doing that I want to understand my rights better and to establish what parts of what’s broken they should be obliged to fix based on the design approach they chose to follow.

IMO the site is either fully custom and all pages need to be designed, or it is based on a theme in which case all other features of theme should work.

streak

Thanks for all of the help so far.
    I have been in touch with the developers and hope to get things resolved soon.

In the meantime, please help me understand the theme/child theme structure.
    I can see two themes, Genesis and Mulligan.
    If I select Genesis to edit and click on say footer.php, despite the fact that it warns you

“WARNING: This file is part of the core Genesis Framework. DO NOT edit this file under any circumstances.
    Please do all modifications in the form of a child theme.”

I see that this file has in fact been edited as it contains my Quantcast Tag, likewise the header.php contains my Google analytics tag.

If I select Mulligan theme to edit, there is no instance of header.php, footer.php and a bunch of others that appear in the Genesis theme but don’t appear in the Mulligan theme.

Looking in Mulligan functions.php I can see where the copyright notices, “Developed by TinyFrog” etc. appear.

So my question is, if one is not supposed to edit the php files on the Genesis them then how come they have been edited?
    It looks like that when the site runs it uses php files from both Genesis (header.php, footer.php) and Mulligan (functions.php etc.)?

Is this how things are supposed to be?

Please educate me.

nutsandbolts

The Genesis framework files should NEVER be edited. If the devs wanted to include things that go in header.php or footer.php, they can do that in the two boxes at the bottom of the Genesis > Theme Settings screen. At the very least, they should have duplicated the files in the child theme folder and made their edits there.

It sounds to me like they are either completely unfamiliar with Genesis or trying to create future work for themselves – as soon as Genesis updates again, your tracking/stats will stop working and that sounds like an opportunity for them to charge you more money to “fix” it. Again, just my two cents.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

essaysnark
    Participant

Yes to all that Andrea said, and to add further:

It seems like you are actually understanding things quite well.

The way that a parent and child theme work together is, if a file exists in the child theme directory, it will take precedence over the same file that is in the parent. Your child theme should always have many fewer files than what are in the parent because the parent theme – Genesis – is what’s running the show.

The reason that the Genesis (parent) files should never be edited is because those files are overwritten whenever you install an update to Genesis. It’s just like how WordPress core should never be edited. All customizations should be done to the child theme (and oddly, just as Andrea said, there’s a really easy way to implement the tracking codes that were added to those Genesis files, so it’s a bit of a head-scratcher why a developer would do it any differently).

streak

Many thanks.
    I remember that the tracking tags were done by the developers SEO contact, a third party, I have emailed him to get some clarification.

Fortunately it looks like I am finding my way around and if necessary should be able to handle these edits myself.

As a matter of interest, how would one create/copy the header and footer files from Genesis to the child theme?

I took a look at the Genesis > Theme Settings screen and noticed the Header and Footer scripts boxes.

The footer box is empty and the header box contains

“<link rel=”shortcut icon” href=”http://www.mulliganfunding.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/favicon6.ico” type=”image/x-icon”>
    <script type=”text/javascript”>
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){

/* prepend menu icon */
    $(‘.nav-primary’).prepend(‘<div id=”menu-icon”>Menu</div>’);

/* toggle nav */
    $(“#menu-icon”).on(“click”, function(){
    $(“.menu-primary”).slideToggle();
    $(this).toggleClass(“active”);
    });

});
    </script>”

streak

The devs have eventually decided to come to the party and to get the landing page to work correctly on their dime.
    The offer now is to get it looking exactly the way we want it to look.

What is the general rule of thumb for the look and feel of a blank landing page?
    Do we include the existing navigation buttons or do we make it a completely blank sheet and then populate it with our message complete with call to action buttons on it using one of the landing page plug ins to assist.

The intention is to use it as a destination for Google ad word campaigns.

Thanks again.

Tom
    Participant

This is the landing page from Minimum Pro demo. That’s pretty much it: a page with your page content only. In this case Minimum also has a background image, but generally not (Enterprise Pro landing page).

The point of a landing page is to provide a blank canvas with no distractions for visitors, so they can be captivated by your content and respond to your call to action. It is what you make it.

Sometimes the home page is referred to as a/the landing page because it’s a common URL; sometimes people consider every page a landing page.

Choose your next site design from over 350 Genesis themes.
    Updates via GenesisThemes.ca | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr

streak

Thanks Tom.
    Makes sense. Looks like I’ll get them to give me a a plain white screen and then find a plugin to help construct the message.

By the way the SEO expert sub contracted by the devs, came back to me after I questioned him on why he editing the Genesis php files and his response was
    “good question, I’ll have to find out”! Makes me wonder why we paid good money for experts. The stuff I have been asking about on these pages to me seems pretty much like WP 101.

What would be the process to move the two edited Genesis files across to the child theme?

Tom
    Participant

I understand that your SEO ‘expert’ originally edited files from the Genesis theme (i.e. the Framework) rather than files from the child theme. (Rule #1 about Genesis: Never edit the Genesis Framework files – just like you would never edit core WordPress files.)

So you need to be clear about where the “two edited Genesis files” actually came from before you determine where thy are going to: names, source location, what editing was actually done to these files?

For your landing page, there are commercial plugins available to help with this, or you can build it on your own, depending on what you want to achieve.

streak

As far as I can see the original Genesis header and footer php files were edited only to include the Quantcast and Google Analytics tags.

If I understand correctly, to avoid these being overwritten with the next Genesis update, these files should be copied or moved to the Mulligan child theme or the tags should be placed in the Genesis theme settings, header and footer boxes as mentioned by Andrea above.
    The footer box is currently empty and the header box currently contains

<link rel=”shortcut icon” href=”http://www.mulliganfunding.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/favicon6.ico” type=”image/x-icon”>
    <script type=”text/javascript”>
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){

/* prepend menu icon */
    $(‘.nav-primary’).prepend(‘<div id=”menu-icon”>Menu</div>’);

/* toggle nav */
    $(“#menu-icon”).on(“click”, function(){
    $(“.menu-primary”).slideToggle();
    $(this).toggleClass(“active”);
    });

});
    </script>

Tom
    Participant

Sorry, I had thought you had also asked your ‘SEO expert’ to correct his work and properly locate the scripts for Google Analytics and Quantcast, which are still loading. If he has not done so, you should be able to relocate them to the header and footer boxes, respectively, in Genesis settings.

After reserving copies of the edited files (just in case), you should overwrite them with copies of the original Genesis files. This *should* return you to an unadulterated Genesis installation if nothing else has been tampered with and also not duplicate the script insertions.

Do you know: Are these the only in-site/on-page customizations done for your SEO?

streak

I am not able to see the home page in the WP editor, I am not sure if this is some setting the devs have made to prevent me from from screwing with it. If click on HOME it just brings up an empty box in the WP editor. likewise if I try and edit the home page while viewing it.
    All the other other internal pages have some of the boxes filled in SEO theme settings.

nutsandbolts

I assume they used Minimum’s widgetized homepage, so you should look in the home widget areas under Appearance > Widgets for the content of your homepage. Or they might have used a custom template, which would explain why there’s a blank page – it could be set to use a template they created.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

streak

Spot on Andrea, that’s exactly where I found some of the home page details, mainly the text.
    I’m still trying to see how the images are included.
    Slowly thanks to you guys I am learning and will hopefully master this all a bit better soon.

Tom
    Participant

@streak
    I can help to explain the home page images and more. I’ve just had a quite a look at how your site has been built. Please contact me via http://keypresswp.com/contact/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.