Google+ for homepage and pages

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Google+ for homepage and pages

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  AC 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Mealtog
    Participant

So adding the G+ URL inside authors works for displaying ownership of posts. If I remember, isn’t there a way to do the same thing for the homepage? I cannot seem to find a solution. What about pages?

AC
    Blocked

Which SEO plugin are you using? Or are you using the default Genesis SEO Settings?

Mealtog
    Participant

Yaost at the moment. There is a Social TAB that says:

Add Google+ specific post meta data (excluding author metadata) (check box)

If you have a Google+ page for your business, add that URL here and link it on your Google+ page’s about page. (URL BOX)

What does this do exactly?

Mealtog
    Participant

I knew I saw it somewhere. Looks like Toast removed this option to add a G+ Author for the home page.

http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-beginners-guide-to-wordpress-seo-by-yoast-social-settings–wp-32840

Scroll down just before the Conclusion to see the image. This option is no longer available in Yoast.

Summer
    Participant

I thought Google had dropped authorship for sites/homepages in favor of Publisher links instead? For the posts, it’s still working the way you listed (though they keep changing whether or not you get photos & rich snippets for authors).

Summer
    Participant

Mealtog
    Participant

Yes upon further investigation, looks like google does not want authors to be associated with the homepage. Looks like they want to drive more businesses to create a publisher page and use that instead. How much do publishers have to bend over backwards to play in the google space yikes…

AC
    Blocked

I am still learning about how that works because of all the changes. But I took my Google+ Code for my account and put it in the Genesis > Theme Settings > Header box so that it shows up on every page. Now, I can’t say whether or not Google is recognizing it there or not – but I have that in this box and then I have my settings for Yoast in there too.

Mealtog
    Participant

Use this tool to test what Google sees, with and without your code: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets

AC
    Blocked

Not sure if you were directing that at me @Mealtog, but that’s what I used to get things to turn “green.” But the only problem is that the URL’s that appear there – they use the admin name in the author slug which the “you know who’s” can try to hack. So I installed this plugin so that I could use a custom slug. I had been wonder why my Limit Login Attempts were sending me failed logins on a brand new administrator account and it was because of that very reason. So I created and attached a slug that wasn’t in the database.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.