Hide sidebars from Category pages

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Hide sidebars from Category pages

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  michiganseo 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

wyattwerner
    Participant

I’m using the Education theme, and have it set up to have two sidebars as its default layout. I have a few items in the navigation that lead to category pages, but I don’t want those pages to have sidebars.

How can I hide the sidebar areas on a category page?

Thanks in adavance!

http://www.idahodairymens.org/category/letters-opinions/

braddalton
    Participant

You can use CSS or PHP code.

CSS: Use the class for sidebars and the body class for category pages with display: none as the declaration.

PHP: Would need to write a custom function.

wyattwerner
    Participant

I was hung up on the idea that I didn’t have a page ID, but I can just use the category id. Bleh! Thanks!

I did this:

.category-11 .sidebar {
    display:none;
    }

I also made the content area wider to fill in the space left by the hidden sidebar:

.category-11 #content {
    width: 875px;
    }

michiganseo
    Participant

wyattwerner,

On your home page, I noticed that both the blog posts are removed AND the PRIMARY SIDEBAR. How did you remove both of these from the homepage. I would like to do something similar.

Thanks!

wyattwerner
    Participant

@michiganseo:

I added two lines of code to the bottom of functions.php (not my magic; I found it somewhere in the forum):

remove_action( 'genesis_loop', 'genesis_do_loop' );
    remove_action( 'genesis_sidebar', 'genesis_do_sidebar' );

genesis();

Leave out the final “genesis” line; that’s just to show where I put it in the file.

michiganseo
    Participant

@wyattwerner:

Thank you so much for your response. That code removed the primary sidebar from all pages. I’m just looking to remove the primary sidebar from the home page — similar to what you seem to do here: http://www.idahodairymens.org. Please let me know if you have a thought on that… Thanks again so much for your help!

wyattwerner
    Participant

Aha! Sorry.

Don’t do this in functions.php, but rather in home.php. That’ll affect only the home page.

michiganseo
    Participant

That makes sense… Adding those 2 lines of code to home.php eliminated the posts from displaying; however, the primary sidebar is still visible… strange… thanks for your efforts!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.