Home Page Slider for Streamline Child Theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Home Page Slider for Streamline Child Theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  braddalton 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

HollyVA

I am working to migrate an existing site over to StudioPress, and am using the Streamline child theme on the not-yet-live site. As the home/front page is not a static page, I am unclear as to how I go about incorporating a slider between the home featured widgets and the content-sidebar-wrap.

(I’d also like to know how I go about turning the post-info off for the home page posts, but… first things first. :) )

I’ve glanced through the snippet headings and nothing jumped out at me, but admittedly I’m not fully familiar with all of the moving parts. Hopefully, someone will be able to a least point me in a general direction.

Thanks for any/all assistance.

braddalton
    Participant

HollyVA

Thanks, Brad, for pointing me in that direction. I have learned that, while I’ve picked up a lot about WP in recent weeks, there’s still much, much, much to read and learn. Thankfully, I’m loving the journey…. :)

HollyVA

Well, after being sidetracked by the holidays, I am now back. :) I’ve installed the Soliloquy slider, based on your recommendations, and tried hooking it at various points using Simple Hooks, using both the short code and php function, but none that I’ve tried seem to get the job done.

At one point, when I had the slider hooked in before the content-sidebar-wrap (which is where I thought it needed to go), it did show up on the home page, but unfortunately was layered over the hfeed content. When I moved it to other hook locations, it simply disappeared.

I didn’t try every possibility, and I’m sure there’s some element I simply overlooked. Hopefully the morning and/or a bit more of your insight will provide me the clarity I need. :) Thanks again.

braddalton
    Participant

Please copy ALL the code from the view raw link and paste it at the end of your child themes functions.php file using a text editor like Notepad++

You will need to change both the hook position and the conditional tag depending on your needs.

After you create a new slider and add images, change the 88 to the i.d of your slider in the code.

HollyVA

Call me silly and lesson learned … As I was reading, I thought “But I already tried that,” position and all. I’m guessing my problem is that I tried it in Simple Hooks and not directly through the child theme function. Thanks, Brad. You rock!

braddalton
    Participant

No worries Holly.

Simple hooks is a great stepping stone for learning about the different hooks and the positions they execute in your theme.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.