How to Change Maximum Width for Existing Posts

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to Change Maximum Width for Existing Posts

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  William 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

William
    Participant

Hi,

I’m migrating from a site from ProPhoto Blog theme to a Genesis theme (probably Streamline). One of the issues I’m facing is that the existing posts used a larger image width than the Genesis themes use, so I’m seeing images extend beyond the blog area into the sidebar.

The images were uploaded at 1200×800, but the Large media setting was up to a 900px width. I’d like to know if there’s a simple way to change the maximum width for existing posts to fit the dimensions of the smaller Genesis content area?

I did some research and found some CSS code snippets that claim this is pretty simple with code like this example:

.postContent img {
    margin: 10px;
    border: 3px solid #CCC;
    max-width: 500px;
    width: expression(this.width > 500 ? 500: true);
    }

Of course, it didn’t work when I pasted it into the CSS stylesheet. I figure it’s close to what I need, but I lack the understanding to tweak it to do as I need with Genesis.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

John
    Participant

Genesis uses a different class for the content…try this instead:

.entry-content img {
    max-width: 500px;
    }

John Sundberg | blackhillswebworks.com
    A WordPress developer’s toolbox: Firebug | WordPress Codex | Google ;)

William
    Participant

Thanks, John.  That works!  The only exception is for photos with captions that still move over into the sidebar, but it’s not due to the size of the image.  I have another routine to eliminate the captions, so it’s all good from here.

Again, many thanks. That’s much better than having to touch all of those old posts manually.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.