How to create a new portofolio page with new category

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How to create a new portofolio page with new category

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lisaleague 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

LauraJane
    Participant

I’m using the Balance theme that has a built in portfolio page, which I love. I am wanting to create more than one portofolio page, with each portfolio page pulling from a different post category. Does anyone have a link to a thread or a post of the best way to do this?

anitac
    Participant

I think you can copy the portfolio template and change it to a different category name. Then go back to the dashboard and create a new portfolio using the newly name template. I can’t say for sure, but that might work for you.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

LauraJane
    Participant

I was able to copy the template and rename it to create a different type of Portfolio page. However, in the Balance theme, it is using the Genesis – Featured Posts widget, so it still just pulls from that widget. I really need to create multiple versions of that widget. I’m not sure if that’s even possible (without modifying the Genesis framework which I don’t want to do of course). Perhaps I need to try an approach that doesn’t rely on the plug in?

lisaleague
    Participant

LauraJane, I would like to do the same thing, I looks like we have to do create a 2nd page and register a 2nd widget in functions php to match.

You would not modify the Genesis framework, just the Balance child theme files – functions.php, and create another Portfolio Page Template
    (page_portfolio.php)

[php]

genesis_register_sidebar( array(

‘id’ => ‘portfolio’,

‘name’ => __( ‘Portfolio’, ‘balance’ ),

‘description’ => __( ‘This is the portfolio page.’, ‘balance’ ),

) );

[/php]

The category name is set when you put the featured posts widget in the new widget area.

Another option is to use a grid category post layout, like Bill Erickson’s http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/genesis-grid-loop/

I’ll give this a try later on a copy of my Balance site and let you know how it works.

LauraJane
    Participant

Yes! That worked!!!

lisaleague
    Participant

Awesome LauraJane!

I have not had chance to try this yet – glad it worked for you. Now sooner or later if I can get to it for me:)

Lisa

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.