How to Create Custom Category Template

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to Create Custom Category Template

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Eric Alexander 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

boldplan
    Participant

I’m at a loss in trying to create or modify the category template that Genesis uses to output templates. Right now it’s nothing more than a page that puts out a list of all the posts in the category in descending order of date. There are no category pages in the genesis child theme and I don’t see any documentation on how one would override the category template. I know how to create a template and assign it to a page but this doesn’t solve my problem. I’d like to place text and other media above those category posts.

boldplan
    Participant

In fact, I don’t see any place where you can output the description of a category that has been entered. This would seem to be a simple task but can’t find where to do it.

boldplan
    Participant

So I looked at this page: http://my.studiopress.com/tutorials/category-blog-page/

Unfortunately it doesn’t do much of anything. It just lists all the posts in a category. It doesn’t use the text typed into the page or its layout. It doesn’t use the metadata associated with a category such as the description entered. There is also no way to assign this page to come up instead of the category page that is default. Is there a way to customize this page beyond the stock category pages?

Eric Alexander
    Participant

I may be confused as to what you are trying to do. I had a similar problem all day today trying to put an image above the posts on my blog page.

By default, the blog page will not output your customizing, as you are discovering. Go get a copy of page_blog.php from the Genesis Parent folder. Open it in a text editor and add the loop to it:

add_action( ‘genesis_loop’, ‘genesis_standard_loop’, 5 );

before the genesis ().

Upload it into your child theme folder. Now when you go to the page you created to be your blog, it is now using this blog page as a template. It will now output your cool work. You can use the Custom Fields to limit the output to certain categories if you need to.

Custom Field name = query_args Value is cat=x (category ID)

Sorry if you already know all this and your problem is more profound. Here’s all I was trying to accomplish:

http://bpdrafthouse.com/brew-buzz/

Good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.