How to get a Home Page Widget to Display on All pages

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks How to get a Home Page Widget to Display on All pages

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa at OG 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Lisa at OG
    Participant

I’d like to get one of the widgets on my home page to display on ALL inside pages as well. I tried using the plugin Display Widgets to make things quick and easy but it was unresponsive. I suspect this will require a change to PHP.  Here is a link to the site in progress: http://www.englishscholar.ca/wordpress/. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Susan

Try this:

http://www.briangardner.com/welcome-text-widget/

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Yes, I have registered the widget and it displays where I want it on the home page; but the tutorial link doesn’t tell me how to get it to display on all pages — not just the home page. :(

Susan

I followed the instructions, and it appears on the top of all of my pages…

(Link to my test site here:)

Susan @ Graphically Designing I’d love to customize your website! I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Hi Susan,

I did try it myself on my own page; but, when I use the simple hooks and place the code here: genesis_before_content_sidebar_wrap, it doesn’t include a full background width — it is sized to 960px. I would like the welcome message to be exactly as it is now (repeating background full screen width) with text 960; but on every page. Using your suggestion, is there a way to get the background full width??

Anita
    Participant

Lisa, which widget do you want on all the pages? What content appears in that widget? Also, can you copy/paste your code in here so we can see what you have going on?

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Susan and Anita — thanks for your assistance with this. Much appreciated. Here is a link again to the site in progress: http://www.englishscholar.ca/wordpress. The section I want to display on every page is the home-bottom-message directly above footer 1, 2 and 3 area (it has association logos in it with a full width gray background). Here is the CSS code I have right now:

.home-bottom-message-wrap {
    background: url(“http://www.englishscholar.ca/wordpress/wp-content/themes/legacy/images/home-bottom-message-bkgd.png”) repeat-x scroll 0 0 transparent;
    /*  border-top: 1px solid #eee; */
    clear: both;
    color: #666;
    line-height: 30px;
    /*  padding: 40px 0 0;    */
    padding: 0px 0 0;
    height: 138px;
    }

.home-bottom-message-inner {
    width: 960px;
    clear: both;
    color: #666;
    line-height: 30px;
    text-align: centre;
    margin: 0 auto
    }

For home php the code is:

if ( is_active_sidebar( ‘home-bottom-message’ ) ) {
    echo ‘<div class=”home-bottom-message-wrap”><div class=”home-bottom-message-inner”>’;
    dynamic_sidebar( ‘home bottom message’ );
    echo ‘</div><!– end .home-bottom-message-wrap –></div><!– end .home-bottom-message-inner –>’;
    }

For functions.php the code is:

genesis_register_sidebar( array(
    ‘id’            => ‘home-bottom-message’,
    ‘name’            => __( ‘Home Bottom Message’, ‘legacy’ ),
    ‘description’    => __( ‘This is the bottom section of the homepage right before the footer.’, ‘legacy’ ),
    ) );

Thanks.

Anita
    Participant

You don’t have anything else in the functions.php that provides code for that area? Something that might look like this? I just modified the welcome widget code to this –

/** Add the home-bottom-message section */
    add_action( ‘genesis_before_content_sidebar_wrap’, ‘home-bottom-message’ );
    function custom_welcome_text() {
    genesis_widget_area( ‘home-bottom-message’, array(
    ‘before’ => ”,
    ) );
    }

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

Anita
    Participant

Actually it should be in the – genesis_after_content_sidebar_wrap – area, not the one I posted.

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Anita, I used Genesis Simple Hooks to try it in the -genesis_after_content_sidebar_wrap. The suggestion you make is effective to place the home-bottom-message text on every page; but the problem still remains on how to add that full width background (only to that section)?

Anita
    Participant

Do you mean the grey background in that widget area only? It should stay full width when you apply the code. I just checked your website. I don’t see the code added there.

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Sorry Anita, I removed the code when it wasn’t working.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.