How to get featured images to work on blog using Magazine theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion How to get featured images to work on blog using Magazine theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jodzeee 1 year ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Alex Navas
    Participant

I set up the blog page to show excerpts and it looks like that’s working fine. The next thing I set up under settings is using the featured image sized at 150×150, however, on the blog page, there are no featured images displaying, only the first image that shows up in the post which is sized totally different for each post.

I added the images to the Featured Image section within the post, but they aren’t showing up right. How can I get it working correctly?

Here’s the site: http://www.iceanow.org/blog

Thanks for your help.

Alex

braddalton
    Participant

Try Genesis > Theme Settings > Content Archives > Display Post Content > Set Content Character Limit > Include featured image 150 x 100 featured image

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

Alex Navas
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Brad. I checked and already have those settings checked.

http://screencast.com/t/6vpqGJrdGp

jodzeee
    Participant

Alex: Did you get the featured image to work? I’m not sure if we have the same problem, but I’ve got a blog page that shows the thumbnails with the excerpts, but not on the post itself. It’s supposed to show on both, isn’t it?

anitac
    Participant

@alexnavas, do you have both a featured image and a image in the beginning of your content?

@jodzeee, no featured images do not automatically show up on the post. It’s only a thumbnail image used on the home, blog, and archive pages. If you want the featured image to show up “automatically” when you add a featured image, I have a instructions on how to accomplish this. Just write back here and I can post the link.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

jodzeee
    Participant

Yes, I would like to see the instructions. Thank you!

anitac
    Participant

Here is the link to the instruction in a text file. The originator noted in there is not operational anymore. I am glad I copied these before their website went down.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

jodzeee
    Participant

Thank you! I was able to get it to work, but with some modification to enabling support and setting the size (the thumbnail code didn’t work for me and I remembered seeing this in the Codex):

**  Enabling Support and setting size for Post Thumbnails   */
    if ( function_exists( 'add_theme_support' ) ) {
    add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );
    set_post_thumbnail_size( 300, 200 );
    }

Then I added this from your instructions:

/** Add Featured Image to Posts - the Webonanza style  */
    add_action( 'genesis_after_post_title', 'child_do_single_post_image' );
    function child_do_single_post_image() {
    if( is_single() )
    genesis_image( array( 'size' => 'post-thumbnail', 'attr' => array( 'class' => 'alignright post-image' ) ) );
    }

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help and quick response!

anitac
    Participant

@jodzeee, you’re welcome. Glad it worked out for you. I hope @alexnavas was able to resolve his issue.

jodzeee
    Participant

I set this topic aside and now am circling back – this worked great, but now I have the featured image on pages I don’t want it to show up. Is there a way to specify that it shows up only certain pages or types?

I want it on my news story pages:

http://www.uncorkeddesign.com/clients/jmwh/the-neighborhood-where-history-meets-art/

But not on my listing pages (AgentPress theme):

http://www.uncorkeddesign.com/clients/jmwh/listings/1803-portland-gold-drive/

Thank you.

braddalton
    Participant

Change the conditional tag from [php] is_single[/php] to [php]if(in_category(news-and-awards) ) {[/php]

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

jodzeee
    Participant

Well that was easy! Thank you so much!

To clarify for anyone else (or in case I need to refer back to this again someday!) …

if( in_category('news-and-awards') )

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.