importing blog posts

Community Forums Forums General Discussion importing blog posts

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wreese27 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

wreese27
    Participant

wondering if anyone can offer any advice on this. I am novice at wordpress. I transferred a domain to a new host and created a new site. (kickinthefit.com). I exported the blog posts. When I use the import function to bring them, it asks if I want to change the authors of the posts, but it would bring in the posts. Can anyone offer any advice on how to fix. I downloaded the old files from the old FTP in case I can use those.

thanks
    Will

Chris Cree
    Participant

You are seeing the normal WordPress import behavior so I’m not sure what you need to be “fixed.”

What it’s asking is which user you want to assign the posts you are importing to. User accounts don’t transfer over with this method of importing content.

If you want to keep things the same as before then you should create the same user accounts on your new install as were there before. Then run your import and assign the post authors to their corresponding new user accounts.

You can also assign all the old author’s posts to a single new author if you prefer, or assign some to one new user and others to another.

wreese27
    Participant

I updated all the users, assigned them as you said and the only thing it imported is an “about page”. which imported the last time too. none of the posts imported after uploading the file. Assuming that file I exported from the old site doesnt have the blog posts in it. This there any way I can get the blogs from the old files from the inactive site?

thanks

braddalton
    Participant

If you have a database backup, you could import that into your new database on your new host

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

wreese27
    Participant

thanks, I have the old support files from the FTP copies to my desktop. Just not sure how to do all of this.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.