It would be cool if …. there were a switch to autoupdate child theme.

Community Forums Forums General Discussion It would be cool if …. there were a switch to autoupdate child theme.

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nickthegeek 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

sokratesagogo
    Participant

It would be really cool if there were an option in the Genesis control panel to allow autoupdates of stock StudioPress child themes (ala – for instance if you are using a core-functionality plugin to customise it).

And it would be ultra cool if there were some Genesis code to add to homebrew themes to allow update from (private) GitHub repos.

Just my 2-pence/cents

“I toast, therefore I am”

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

You can enable that functionality with custom code in the child theme, but it isn’t done on purpose because updates are intended to come through Genesis. Child themes should be edited directly and making for an auto update would break the child theme customizations of many users. While some developers may wish to tie into an update script is isn’t something that will be adopted by default for all child themes. You can see how the update scripts look in Prose 1.5+

sokratesagogo
    Participant

Thanks Nick :)

sokratesagogo
    Participant

Edit: Sorry Nick, just saw your reply here: Post link

At the risk of exposing myself as a complete charlatan, is it considered good practice to modify child themes directly?

I love the StudioPress child themes but often find I need to adapt or add to them depending on my clients needs. At the same time, I want to be able to easily incorporate any goodness a given StudioPress child theme update theme may introduce.

Of course, I run the risk that any modifications I may have made to the previous theme – adding functions, CSS etc may not be compatible with the StudioPress update. I find this a lot easier to manage this by not editing the StudioPress child directly, but including the modifications in a plugin.

Please feel free to put me right!

Sok

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  sokratesagogo.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Yep, as I explained in the link you found, typically it is best to edit the child themes directly with the exception of true core functionality, things which should exist regardless of the theme being used. That really should be put into a plugin. CSS especially should be done in the child theme directly because it really only applies to a given child theme. Well, it would require some modifications to use in other themes at least.

I do often put my CSS into groups that allow me to find code I will be adapting to new themes I add to my site.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.