Make specific posts (CPT) always display at the top regardless of set order?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Make specific posts (CPT) always display at the top regardless of set order?

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lucaslem 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

lucaslem
    Participant

I have a series of custom post types (workshops) with their own custom taxonomy (cat 1, cat 2, etc). I’m using the archive template to display all the posts, and I’m using the categories as menu items to narrow down by category.

Here is my goal:
    When viewing all posts: be able to set one (or two) specific posts to always display at the top of the list regardless of the order set.

Bonus for the sake of learning :)
    When viewing “cat 1″ list = be able to set one or two specific posts to always display at the top of the list regardless of the order set.

Using framework.

braddalton
    Participant

You can’t make pages assigned to a CPT sticky however you can add a widget area before posts and add your pages there using the genesis featured posts amplified plugins widget.

lucaslem
    Participant

Hmmm, I’m not sure I was clear (or I’m misunderstanding your reply). I wish I could link, but I’m developing locally so I will try to be more explicit.

I’m not trying to add pages to anything. Imagine the blog page where you have all the posts titles listed (with excerpts) in reverse chrono order, but you want one of those to always stick to the top of the list regardless of the time it was posted.

That’s essentially what I’m trying to achieve except that it’s not the blog archive but a “workshop” archive.

lucaslem
    Participant

Ah Brad I think I understand what you meant… the “page” thing threw me. Ok I know how to register widget areas so that should be fine. I’ll set this to resolved once I get this coded and confirm that I got it working. Thanks

Mealtog
    Participant

There has to be a way to show this since there is an option to Show an Author Bio based on category archives. Brad will know this for sure but interesting question. I wonder if any of these hooks will work?

http://genesistutorials.com/visual-hook-guide/category/category-1/

Or maybe this plugin can do what you need?

http://wordpress.org/plugins/genesis-simple-hooks/

lucaslem
    Participant

Worked a treat thanks. Only issue now is that the posts that show up in widget are also showing up down in the list. Anyway to allow the to only show up in the widget area?

lucaslem
    Participant

If this helps anyone else, I actually found a plugin which allows me to de *exactly* what I was after with minimal fuss: Post Types Order.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.