Menus Not Working On Georgia Theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Menus Not Working On Georgia Theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Susan Nelson 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

ShanG
    Participant

Help, I’m stumped. An old client came back to me after going to another hack designer and wanted me to fix her site. I cannot figure it out. her menus just plain don’t work. She is using the Georgia child theme.

Here’s the weird part…if I enable the default theme, the menus perform as they should. OY.

I disabled and re-enabled all her plugins one by one, reinstalled WP, reinstalled the Genesis core…nothing works. I tried putting up the theme I designed for her and get the same result. Obviously it’s a Genesis issue, but what? She says her site was fine until the 29th of last month. In addition to the menus not working, her featured images won’t stick now either.

http://musingmainiac.com/

rfmeier
    Participant

Shan,

Is there a live version of the site to look at?

Susan Nelson
    Participant

I’m just curious – what happens if you activate the Genesis theme itself?

Susan Nelson | Oh, Hello Designs | Twitter | Facebook

ShanG
    Participant

Yes, there is a live site to look at. Wasn’t there a link in the first post?

Activating the core itself yields the exact same results…non-working menus and no featured images.

Live site is here: http://musingmainiac.com/

rfmeier
    Participant

There was a link after all. Anyways, this sounds like some files were possibly edited that shouldn’t have been. Or at least some Genesis options for featured images are being overrode. But, since you re-installed a clean Genesis Framework, we should be certain the core files should be working as intended.

Is there any removing of filters or actions within the functions.php file?

Just throwing out ideas.

Susan Nelson
    Participant

Since the issue still happens when you activate just Genesis, I would open a support ticket with StudioPress.

ShanG
    Participant

I did open a support ticket but have gotten no response yet.

ShanG
    Participant

Another strange thing is that the menu items  say “custom” instead of category or page. Even removing them from the menus section in the dashboard and adding them back via the list in the left column, I get the same thing. On my own blog each of my menu items say category or page, though I’m not using Genesis.

Here’s a screenshot: http://musingmainiac.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Beth-Menus-Error.png

rfmeier
    Participant

Hmmm, that is strange. Whoever had this before, must have done a number.

ShanG
    Participant

I cannot say HACK loud enough about this so-called designer. Just sayin’.

rfmeier
    Participant

It really sounds like they have some goofy code somewhere, or at managed to screw up some settings.

Susan Nelson
    Participant

So, just to be clear, if you remove those custom links and then put checks in the boxes of the pages you want to add, they revert to custom links?

Another thought – what does the functions.php file look like? Wonder what would happen if you replace it with the original?

ShanG
    Participant

@Susan, yes that’s what I’m saying.

I replaced the core Genesis theme with a fresh copy, but have not done so with the child theme because my client can’t afford to pay me any more than what I’m already charging. BUT, when I enabled the Fabric theme that I had designed for her previously, I got the same result. This is why I believed it was the core that was the issue.

I’ll take a look at the functions.php in the core and child themes to see what I find.

Susan Nelson
    Participant

Oh man. Surely the other designer didn’t mess with the core?? This only happened after the Georgia theme was applied?

Susan Nelson
    Participant

Oh wait – strike what I just said. You said you replaced Genesis with a new copy. Hmmm…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.