Metro theme: Question about the Home Top "featured" post pic

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Metro theme: Question about the Home Top "featured" post pic

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  kay9 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

kay9
    Participant

In the Metro theme, in the Home Top “featured post” area, if you use a LARGE (huge) graphic, it looks great, centered over the post text. But, if you use a graphic that is NOT that big, it goes to the left and there is white space at the right and the text doesn’t start until below. Looks a bit empty/bad.

Can anyone tell me how to make the graphic centered, or, better still, have the text wrap starting up at the right top side of the graphic? Something that looks better than what the theme currently does in its “default” state for this situation?

Thank you! (I asked in a support ticket and got pointed to Firebug but unfortunately that didn’t help me much!)

:)

S

wmwebdes
    Participant

Can you post a link to your site Kay – would be helpful to take a look.

kay9
    Participant

Shoot, sorry ’bout that! Yes it’s a client site.

wmwebdes
    Participant

Have you set that image to “align – none” in the featured post widget?
    If you have – try “align – float left”

kay9
    Participant

Yep, I do have it set to “align – none” right now, and it’s staying over at the left, as you saw.

I just tried changing it to “align left” and now at least the post title is moved up, but the text of the post itself is still waaaaaay down there. Hmmm. Any idea how to make it wrap? Or?

Seems odd that this default version of this theme doesn’t automatically do this, right?

Thank you for your help!!! :)

wmwebdes
    Participant

This is what’s stopping the text moving up…

.post-info, .post-meta {
    clear: both;
    line-height: 1.5;
    }

It styles “MAY 3, 2013 BY SHERI SAVILL”

Take a look in Chrome developer tools or firebug and see what happens when you remove “clear: both;”

The text moves up.

kay9
    Participant

Thank you! I will do what you suggest and see what happens!

wmwebdes
    Participant

If you don’t know how to use firebug, check out this video by Carrie Dils

carriedils.com/firebug-demo-troubleshoot-css/

kay9
    Participant

It worked! And I am wondering, again, why that bit of code is in the default version of this theme? If it makes that goofy thing happen with the image and all the space, why is that bit of code even IN the theme? It doesn’t appear to be “needed,” right? Or is it needed when the image IS bigger/huge? I hope I haven’t created a problem for when they want to use a bigger image in that area of that widget!

Thanks again! At least it is fixed for now!

wmwebdes
    Participant

Glad to help

You could try it with an image of the correct size as I have done on this site

Metro site

On this site I used pages not posts and modified the CSS to get the right effect.

Shall we say that this one is resolved Kay?

kay9
    Participant

Hope so, thank you again! Still not clear as to why the default theme works like that, with that big empty space in the featured post area if you fail to use a VERY large image. If anyone ever comes along and can answer that, I’d sure LOVE to hear it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  kay9.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  kay9.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.