Modern portfolio about box not working right?

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Modern portfolio about box not working right?

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 34 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  hannahransom 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

nutsandbolts

Try this and see how it works for you. Once you’ve done this, you should be able to change back to showing posts on the homepage instead of the static page, and you should be able to use the About widget area (and any of the other homepage widget areas) while still showing posts below them.

First, find the following in your stylesheet:

.mp-home #inner {
    padding: 0;
    max-width: 100%;
    }

and change it to this:

.mp-home #inner {
    padding-top: 40px;
    max-width: 1080px;
    }

Then remove all the contents of your home.php and replace with this:

<?php
    /**
     * Controls the homepage output.
     */

add_action( 'genesis_meta', 'mp_home_genesis_meta' );
    /**
     * Add widget support for homepage. If no widgets active, display the default loop.
     */
    function mp_home_genesis_meta() {

if ( is_active_sidebar( 'about' ) || is_active_sidebar( 'portfolio' ) || is_active_sidebar( 'services' ) || is_active_sidebar( 'blog' ) ) {

// Add mp-home body class
    		add_filter( 'body_class', 'mp_body_class' );
    		function mp_body_class( $classes ) {
    			$classes[] = 'mp-home';
    			return $classes;
    		}

// Add homepage widgets
    		add_action( 'genesis_after_header', 'mp_homepage_widgets' );
    	}
    }

function mp_homepage_widgets() {

genesis_widget_area( 'about', array(
    		'before' => '<div id="about"><div class="wrap">',
    		'after' => '</div></div>',
    	) );

genesis_widget_area( 'portfolio', array(
    		'before' => '<div id="portfolio"><div class="wrap">',
    	) );

genesis_widget_area( 'services', array(
    		'before' => '<div id="services"><div class="wrap">',
    	) );

genesis_widget_area( 'blog', array(
    		'before' => '<div id="blog"><div class="wrap">',
    	) );
    }

genesis();

Let me know how it goes!

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

hannahransom

Oh, geez, crazy. I thought this was going to be something simple.

Weird that it looks like that on the theme preview but it’s hard to do. Is that just because I don’t want the jump navigation?

Ok, I still have not figured out how I want to do child stuff since getting genesis, so I am going to do this AFTER I figure that out, I guess. I have left everything default so far, but need to change the fonts and link colors at least, anyway, I’ve just been preoccupied with work that doesn’t have to do with my website. Hopefully for the rest of this week I will have a little more time and can play around with web stuff.

Thanks again!

hannahransom

Ok, so I am finally playing around with this stuff. I was in my FTP looking at the style sheets today (looking for where to change the hyperlink color which seems to be decidedly absent!) and I know for that I can add onto the bottom after a note to myself so that if I ever have to update it I can copy and paste back in my changes.

Is it safe to just change out the home.php? What if there is a child theme update for my theme and I lose everything? I’m still so new to genesis and don’t really understand the ins and outs of making changes.

nutsandbolts

Yes, you can make any changes you want. Luckily, though, child themes don’t update – sometimes StudioPress revamps them (like with the Pro themes that are being released now) but they are considered a whole different theme. You’ll never be prompted to update the child theme in your WP dashboard; only the framework. So any changes you make to the files in your theme’s folder are safe.

I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

hannahransom

Great! So, I did it, and now I do have the nice about part over my recent articles, but for some reason when I set recent articles as the home page it won’t work. Maybe it has something to do with my current menu and navigation. I am going to be playing around with it!

I will be excited when I get it because the article page is JUST what I want for my home page (other than a few css things that I need to figure out).

hannahransom

Ok, so I can not figure out what is going wrong. When I try to switch to my homepage showing recent articles is still has my static homepage (I cleared the cache) and the article page shows nothing. I’d like to remove the article page and have home show my recent posts, but it ain’t happening. Is it something I put in the body php?

hannahransom

Any ideas? Sorry I have so many questions!

nutsandbolts

So the current articles page is the way you want the homepage to look, correct? I just want to make sure I understand what needs to happen.

hannahransom

Yep, exactly. I did try clicking the “show recent posts for homepage” thing and it doesn’t work for some reason.

nutsandbolts

Try this and see what happens – rename your home.php to something like home-old.php and then choose recent posts in Settings > Reading.

hannahransom

It works to make the articles homw, but the about box doesn’t show up anymore when I do that.

nutsandbolts

Okay, try this – set the homepage to be Articles and leave the posts page setting blank.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  nutsandbolts.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  nutsandbolts.

hannahransom

Dang, nope. It was still the static front page (which makes no sense) and the articles part was blank.

nutsandbolts
    This reply has been marked as private.

hannahransom

Just sent it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.