Modern Portfolio Primary navigation vs custom menu

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Modern Portfolio Primary navigation vs custom menu

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  chikamiku 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

chikamiku
    Participant

Displaying custom-menu in the modern protfolio is a fairly straightforward job. However, the given tutorial does NOT explain clearly how and where to enter  primary navigation and by using which widget. That is pretty confusing.

To me, the custom-menu is new menu which is shown as About Portfolio, services, Blog,  and content.  However, the primary navigation is the menu where the demo theme is showing on contact page. This nav will be visible only if one clicks on the contact page button on the custom-menu link. Does anyone know how to achieve that?

Thanks and regards,

charriott4
    Participant

Place a custom menu widget in the header right area.

Web Designs By Chrissy | Twitter @designbychrissy

Follow Me On Facebook

chikamiku
    Participant

Chrissy,

Thanks.  You are right.  Tjis is also mentioned in the theme tutorial.  However, I am not sure about the primary navigation. Where should it be placed?

Any idea on this?

Thanks

Sridhar Katakam
    Participant

At Appearance -> Menus, select the custom menu that you would like to appear on a specific Page in ‘Primary Navigation Menu’ location.

Method 1

Add the following at the end of child theme’s functions.php:

/** display primary menu only on chosen page **/
    add_action('template_redirect', 'child_conditional_actions');
    function child_conditional_actions() {
    if ( !is_page( 146 ) )
    remove_action('genesis_after_header', 'genesis_do_nav');
    }

change 146 to ID of Page on which you would like the Primary nav menu to appear.

Source: http://victorfont.com/conditional-secondary-menus-genesis-themes/

Method 2

Add the following at the end of child theme’s style.css (WP dashboard -> Appearance -> Editor):

#nav {
    display: none;
    }

.page-id-146 #nav {
    display: block;
    }

change 146 to ID of Page on which you would like the Primary nav menu to appear.

charriott4
    Participant

I would suggest either before or after the top Gray area, but I am not sure if this theme has support for it or styling? You may need to add it or add code to reposition it

Web Designs By Chrissy | Twitter @designbychrissy

Follow Me On Facebook

chikamiku
    Participant

Thank you so much for the great support. Now I understand the issue full well and will handle it as you suggested.

Thanks and regards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.