Move secondary nav to show under slider – Executive theme

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Move secondary nav to show under slider – Executive theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  michelefree 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anahere
    Participant

Hi,
    I am using executive theme and genesis slider and am trying to move the secondary nav to sit under the slider not above it. I have a custom menu in the header, which is what I want but it means the secondary nav would look better under the slider and above the home middle widgets.
    Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

http://174.132.169.60/~mobinoma/

Cheers, A

http://174.132.169.60/~mobinoma/

nunotmp
    Participant

I am not sure if you are comfortable using the functions.php file but something like this should work

remove_action( 'genesis_after_header', 'genesis_do_subnav' );
    add_action( 'genesis_before_content', 'genesis_do_subnav' );

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  nunotmp.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  nunotmp.

Anahere
    Participant

Thanks Nunotmp, will give that a go.
    A.

Anahere
    Participant

Should I be adding the code before or after anything specific? I am presuming this is in the editor area of WP Appearance and not in my Cpanel php admin area.

nunotmp
    Participant

If you are unfamiliar with the functions.php file I would advise not to do it. If you were to accidentally leave out something like a semicolon then your site would break. The code should go at the bottom of your functions.php if you would like to try it out and have ftp access.

Anahere
    Participant

Well, lesson learnt… I broke the site, I have an error message that I have an extra syntax } on line 177.

I’m in the file manager area of my cpanel and can see functions under WP content themes but now I am not sure if the formatting.php is the place I need to be. Any suggestions?
    Also, how do i know which is line 177?

A.

Anahere
    Participant

Found the problem… wp content / themes / executive / functions – now all fixed.
    Alas, it looks like I am stuck with the Nav above the slider so I am back to square one.
    Appreciate your help though.
    A.

michelefree
    Participant

I am also trying to put my menu directly below the slider, and have it map over the slider a bit.

Have you tried placing the “Custom Menu” widget in your “Home-Top” widget? Also, you could make a “menu-under-slider” widget and put the “Custom Menu” widget in it, if you’re using home-top for something else.

The code that nunotmp is talking about is discussed here: http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/navigation-menus/#reposition-secondary. Maybe that can help you to get your menu in the right Genesis Simple Hook.

The hooks are laid out here: http://genesistutorials.com/visual-hook-guide/. So nuntmp was advising you to place your menu in the “genesis_before_content” hook.

These lines of code below are put at the end of your functions.php file in the Appearance->Editor. I’d advise reading about this before you try it. Then you can experiment putting your menu into different hooks until you get the one you want.

But I think the most simple thing to do is to put the Custom Menu widget into the home-top widget. Please let me know waht works for you!

remove_action( ‘genesis_after_header’, ‘genesis_do_subnav’ );
    add_action( ‘genesis_before_content’, ‘genesis_do_subnav’ );

michelefree
    Participant

PS Get the Genesis Visual Hooks plugin. It maps out where the hooks are on your page. It’s awesome!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.