Need help understanding rems

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Need help understanding rems

This topic is: not resolved

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jon Bellah 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

dave_s
    Participant

Prior to 1.9 if I wanted to change the size of the post or sidebar font I simply used firebug to identify the relevant section/line and then made the change via the editor – simples!

But with 1.9 I’m struggling to figure out how to isolate those elements. For example, in the sample child theme I’d like to increase the content font to 18px and decrease the sidebar font to 16px. Later on I might want to change the footer font or meta font, but how do I achieve that using rems?

I’m part of the customer base that is not a developer and gets things done by closing my eyes, putting my finger into the power socket and seeing what happens, so I wont be offended by rolling of eyes and slow deliberate instructions :)

cheers

Dave

Jon Bellah
    Participant

Here’s a really good article on px vs em vs rem. You can also use PXtoEM.com to make converting from px to em a bit easier. That said, if using px is what you’re comfortable with then by all means use it.

Follow me on the Twitters at @JonBellah. I blog about web design, development and a lot about Genesis at CSSForge.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.