NextGen Gallery Alternatives

Community Forums Forums General Discussion NextGen Gallery Alternatives

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 59 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Kingsoul 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Ruairi
    Participant

@Mealtog

Just to answer your question, the plugin adds rel=”prettyPhoto”

Ruairi Phelan CEO at Cyberdesign Craft.

Ruairi
    Participant

Hi All

I have just completed configuring prettyPhoto to Genesis via Cleaner Gallery, this is prettyPhoto as opposed to Thickbox.

functions.php

/** Load PrettyPhoto **/
    add_action( 'get_header', 'prettyPhoto_scripts' );
    function prettyPhoto_scripts() {

// use whatever conditional tags you need
    	if ( !is_home() || !is_front_page() ) {

wp_enqueue_script( 'prettyPhoto-min', CHILD_URL.'/lib/prettyPhoto/js/jquery-1.6.1.min.js' 	);
        wp_enqueue_style( 'prettyPhoto-css', CHILD_URL.'/lib/prettyPhoto/css/prettyPhoto.css' 		);
        wp_enqueue_script( 'prettyPhoto-js', CHILD_URL.'/lib/prettyPhoto/js/jquery.prettyPhoto.js' 	);

}
    }

/** loads prettyPhoto footer script **/
    function pettyPhoto_footer_script() {
    	if ( !is_home() || !is_front_page() ) {
    		echo "
    <script type=\"text/javascript\" charset=\"utf-8\">
        jQuery(document).ready(function() {
        jQuery(\"a[rel^='prettyPhoto']\").prettyPhoto({
    	    deeplinking: false,
    	    });
        });
    </script>
    "; }

}

Settings on For Cleaner Gallery in:
    Appearance > Cleaner Gallery

Medium images by default
    Images should link to full
    Galleries ordered by Menu Order
    Display image gallery in Ascending order

None of the checkboxes checked

External image script = prettyPhoto

And there you have it! :)

And yes now, I have only just learned that prettyPhoto is NOT RESPONSIVE :( It’s still prettyCool though!

But I need a responsive lightbox!

Oh Well!

Ruairi Phelan CEO at Cyberdesign Craft.

Mealtog
    Participant

Hey Ruairi, thanks for the reply and for all the info. Great work.

I am pretty sure during my testing, I also found quite a few of image plugings, some very popular to work poorly on mobile devices. I just cannot get myself to use these. Mobile usage is exponentially on the rise. And for those who deliver great looking websites to clients, imagine the looks you get when their customers tell them their website looks great but photos are not viewable on mobile. Yikes.

sdbroker
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Are you using the Lightbox Plus Colorbox plugin? I use it for a year or so on my son’s site because of its feature to add video in addition to the images and I think it’s pretty easy to use.

I haven’t figured out how to make it responsive though. You mentioned using % for the image sizes. I currently have all the fields blank on the settings and off course the images are not responsive. However the videos are. What percentages should I use to make the images responsive and should I do it on the settings or add @Media sections on the plugin’s css?

Thank you

wildwebwest
    Participant

Meeee too. I appreciate all your excellent footwork Lisa @ OG. Awesome. I have ALOT of sites on nextgen and I’m sorry to see it go by the wayside but I’ll try the MaxGalleria and glad you spelled out all the questions that a fellow web services provider would have. COOL. You saved me so much time and for that I am grateful.

I’ll be back to report my initial install of MaxGalleria. I think for some sites, too, I may use the native wordpress create gallery as it seems so much more of a stable long term decision to just go with WP instead of having to explain to clients why this type of problem is not a free upgrade.

Thanks again. #awesome

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

wildwebwest
    Participant

Hey friends. For those who are moving to Max Galleria, I don’t find it coming up in the plugins for some reason, but do a quick search and the website is really nice.

this is a nice feature that definitely incentivizes the use of Max Galleria – a NextGEN Importer. Yey!!

NextGEN Importer Makes It Easy to Switch
    Migrating away from the NextGEN Gallery plugin and switching to MaxGalleria is made extremely easy with the NextGEN Importer. With just a couple clicks, this tool will import images from your NextGEN galleries into either new or existing MaxGalleria galleries. The entire process is quick and painless, making it a snap to move away from NextGEN.

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

Lisa at OG
    Participant

@sdbroker, Yes it is one of the options we are testing out and using. I’ve tried ours on a mobile phone (iPhone) and iPad and it scales down nicely but that probably has more to do with my child theme CSS than anything else. FYI, we remove the responsive code and build an addt’l specific mobile design for our clients that integrates into the same dashboard. Here’s a link to our demo of the Lightbox Plus Colorbox Plugin: http://www.originalginger.com/demos/legacy1140/gallery-native-wordpress/

BTW, if any of you want to set a specific size of thumb for your gallery you can easily add a simple line of code to your functions.php identifying your new image. In our example code below we named it gallery-thumbnail:

add_image_size( 'gallery-thumbnail', 300, 300, TRUE );

Then when you create and add your native wordpress media gallery you just add an addt’l bit of code to the shortcode as follows:

[gallery link="file" ids="480,481,482,483,485,484" size="gallery-thumbnail"]

I have not yet tested this cross browser. No time today. If anyone else checks it out please let me know.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  Lisa at OG.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  Lisa at OG.

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Hey @wildwebwest, yes I took the MaxGalleria importer for a spin and it worked like a darn!

Lisa at OG
    Participant

@sdbroker, just took a look in the Lightbox Plus Colorbox dashboard and there is a tab in the Primary Lightbox Settings that says Size. If you click on the little blue help ? button to the right of the field it talks about setting widths in px or %. Hope that helps.

Lisa at OG
    Participant

@wildwebwest, MaxGalleria is not in the WordPress depository. We found it elsewhere; but the developers are very responsive and we love the plugin.

wildwebwest
    Participant

I’m going to go ahead and by the MaxGalleria developer license because I have a ton of client websites using nextgen.

(Not sure what you use for forms either but GRAVITY FORMS is absolutely awesome.)

Wild Web West, LLC
    #IHeartGenesis

sdbroker
    Participant

@Lisa Thank you very much Lisa! Got it!

Lisa at OG
    Participant

Just thought I’d touch base with people who participated in this thread. We’ve been using MaxGalleria on almost ALL of our client site builds since October 2013. Most of the quirks that existed have been worked out and the developers have added multiple uploading of images by volume. Captions now work like a dream in all the major browsers even when adding html. Still no album capability but I think that is to come soon and there are easy workarounds for that anyways. The import has worked for all of our conversions from NextGen to MaxGalleria and there were a lot!

I totally recommend it.

coralseait
    Participant

Thank you very much Lisa for the update and sharing the experience with MaxGalleria. Sounds like the devs are on the ball.

Kingsoul

Lisa,

Thanks for this topic. I’m new to the forum, but this totally helped me out big time! Maxgalleria for me too.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.