Positioning an author gravatar near a post title

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Positioning an author gravatar near a post title

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lliillaa 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Mike
    Participant

I have a number of clients who routinely request to have their (or one of their authors) gravatar positioned beside (or near) the post title on a single post page?  Also, how would I include it in a category archive page which displays a list of 5 articles with snippets?

What is the easiest way to do this?  Thanks All!

SoZo

If you aren’t familiar with functions and would rather not edit functions.php then you could use Genesis Simple Hooks and add it to the before_post_title hook

John “Nicolas Flamel” Wright | SoZo’s design| John Wright Photography

Mike
    Participant

I wouldn’t have a problem editing the functions.php file.  Can you provide the code?

Thanks SoZo!

SoZo

What code are you referring to?

Mike
    Participant

If its not code, then the edits required to the functions.php file you mentioned to enable the functionality I describe.

SoZo

Adding a function would go something like
    add_action('genesis_before_post_title', 'your_function');
    function your_function() {
    STUFF YOU WANT THE FUNCTION TO OUTPUT
    }

Mike
    Participant

Ok, I’m not a programmer so I can’t decipher this.  Let’s try the other avenue.  What would I need to add to the before_post_title hook to get the functionality I’m looking for?

SoZo

I don’t have that code memorized. I imagine a google search would bring it up though.

Debs
    Participant

I don’t have that code memorized. I imagine a google search would bring it up though.

oh dear…not helpful…and just a tad sarcastic methinks… most people come here when they can’t find answers on google…!

this might help from the old forum! Add Gravatar to Post Title [Tutorial]

Mike
    Participant

Debs,

Maybe this will help.  It’s from Nick in reponse to my email inquiring as to how much support I should expect or not expect as the case may be as a Pro-Plus member.  This was prompted by this ticket.

Take it for what it is.

Best Regards,

Mike

Mike,

We can help with usage and technical support in help desk. We have always relied on forum support for customizations. This allows the community to help and benefit.

To help get you started with the info John gave you, use get_avatar()
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_avatar

Nick

Mike
    Participant

Oh and thanks Debs!  I didn’t see your link at the bottom.  I came up with a different solution so all is good.  Thanks again!

- Mike

Debs
    Participant

hi mike – glad you got that sorted!

Debs
    Participant

actually mike…could you share what you did here? thanks!

Mike
    Participant

Sure.

I did what SoZo suggested and googled “Using Gravatars in WordPress” and came across Bill Richardson’s blog, a well respected developer in both Genesis and Thesis.  Bill had an article on this at http://www.billerickson.net/using-gravatars-in-wordpress/

I kinda took the long way around but Bill made it easy to understand and since Thesis has recently released version 2, I bought the developer version.  It is a lot different than Genesis but extremely powerful for the person like me who is not a novice but isn’t a full-fledged developer either.  I like owning both Genesis & Thesis as each framework has its strengths and weaknesses.  Another tool in the toolset.

All that said, my client was more than happy so all ended well.

Best Regards,

Mike

Debs
    Participant

thanks mike, that’s helpful…i’ve been a thesis user for many years and have only recently joined the genesis community…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.