Post spammed

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bill Murray
    Participant

I posted a brilliant reply in this thread and it got spammed. I suspect it was due to having 2 links. Please unspam it and don’t mark my posts as spam. I am a nice guy. I swear :)

Web: https://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

Susan

I just unspammed it for you :)

I’m afraid I’m not in charge of the spam police, so I don’t know why some replies get marked as spam. :(

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

Bill, we don’t flag people manually very often. Only if it is legit spam and then we would block the account while we are in there. Askimet does this automatically and it has been a bit aggressive the past month or so.

Bill Murray
    Participant

I didn’t take it personally and was aware it was an Akismet thing. Let me raise 2 points:

1) If there are flags (such as including multiple links) that make getting tagged as spam more likely, it would be great to post those guidelines so people can avoid it as much as they can. bbPress needs an ability similar to WP, where someone with an approved comment isn’t likely to be marked as spam.

2) Are moderators checking the spam queue on a regular basis? It was great that Susan rescued my words of wisdom, but that only came up in another thread. I suspect there are folks who got spammed, didn’t think about Akismet, griped about the forum not working to themselves, and moved on to a place where they’re less likely to contribute in the future.

Web: https://wpperform.com or Twitter: @wpperform

We do managed WordPress hosting.

nickthegeek
    Keymaster

The moderators approve spam as they find it. I check the spam filters a couple of times a day and have also added another administrator with access to the spam filter to help with account issues and to check for spam if I am not available. In all honesty we don’t have many posts being flagged relative to the number that come through each day.

I’d love to do a write up but as Askimet is a bit vague on how their system works it is difficult to say for sure.

snakeair
    Participant

It sure looks like this member joined here to self promote his site.

http://www.studiopress.com/forums/topic/mobile-websites-what-are-you-using/#post-17657

Susan

@snakeair – I marked as spam the post which a couple of people identified as spam.

Susan @ Graphically Designing I offer theme customizations I tweet!
    I’ve taken up the challenge! – help me answer some of the unanswered posts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.