Prose Landing Page Width

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Prose Landing Page Width

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wendycholbi 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Si G
    Participant

I’m using the Prose child theme and the landing page template for my site pages.

I want to reduce the width of the page to 800px.

I have inserted the following code into the custom code box:

body {
    background: #f5f5f5;
    margin: 0 auto;
    width: 800px;
    }

The width of the page is now perfect but the content now sits too far over to the right hand side of the page ie I have a fairly big margin/white space to the left and then a thin margin/white space to the right – I assume that I need to reduce the size of the content box?

Any help greatly received,

Si

wendycholbi
    Participant

Yes, you’ll need to reduce the width of the content div (and the sidebar(s) if you are using any).

Take a look at this thread that includes some code snippets to widen the content area; tweak the numbers to narrow it instead.

Also, refer to the Genesis Visual Markup Guide to see which boxes you need to narrow (that resource is linked in the thread I mentioned, but it’s so useful I wanted to point it out specifically).

If you need more help, be sure to post a link to your site so we can take a look at it.

I love WordPress, Genesis, and the Prose child theme (my complete guide to using Prose is here: SiteSetupKit.com). Say hi on Twitter: @wendycholbi

Si G
    Participant

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the help and links.

I’ve added some code to what I had originally – the code now looks like:

body {
    background: #f5f5f5;
    margin: 0 auto;
    width: 800px;
    }

.full-width-content #content {
    width: 700px;
    padding: 0;
    }

I’m only going to be using the landing page template with this site so I thought that the only ‘content’ element I would need to tweak is the full width content element?

As you can see from the site the text is still forced over to the right – I’m totally lost when it comes to margins, padding, and float.

http://www.zippyblogs.com/

Si

wendycholbi
    Participant

Try adding this to your custom code:

#inner {
    width: 700px;
    }

I think that should fix it (by overriding the default width of 900px for that div).

I love WordPress, Genesis, and the Prose child theme (my complete guide to using Prose is here: SiteSetupKit.com). Say hi on Twitter: @wendycholbi

Si G
    Participant

Wendy – that’s worked!!

Really appreciate all of your help, many thanks!

Si

wendycholbi
    Participant

Excellent news, you’re very welcome!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.