Recent Posts across the top? Lifestyle Theme

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Recent Posts across the top? Lifestyle Theme

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  michelepentecost 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

michelepentecost
    Participant

I’ve been asked to add a top bar of “featured” posts just like this site is using (for their recent posts).  http://gigglesgalore.net/

Is there anything out there that will do this? I don’t understand the plug in that I saw in the page source and how they got it to scroll across the page. Even more, when I insert a “featured posts” widget in the “home” area of the lifestyle theme I lose the posts that stream down the page. I must not get how the home page works or something but I’m having a hard time. :(

blog is under construction so I can’t link it but I’m using the Lifestyle child theme.

Thanks!

Michele

braddalton
    Participant

I didn’t see any scrolling with the thumbnails but if you wanted that you could install this plugin http://caroufredsel.dev7studios.com/examples/basic-carousels.php

There’s free javascript files and also a premium plugin version.

If you simply want a row of featured image thumbnails, you can easily create a widget area in that position and use the native gallery to create the thumbnails.

Not difficult at all.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

braddalton
    Participant

Here’s the code you can use to create the widget area:

Code not displaying? Grab it on Github.

Copy the code from the view raw link and paste it at the end of your child themes functions.php file using a code editor like Notepad++.

michelepentecost
    Participant

THANK YOU! Widget area added and I just used a featured posts widget with a float to get it to go across. :D  I will definitely look into the caroufredsel. Looks nice!

Thanks again!

michele

braddalton
    Participant

Great!

Please share the CSS code you used to display your featured post widgets inline.

Thanks

michelepentecost
    Participant

Sure – actually I used the TW Recent Posts plug in and I don’t know if this is correct but it worked!

.tw-recent-posts .featured-post {
    float: left;
    line-height: 1.1em;
    margin: 15px 13px;
    }

Would it be possible to have it on all pages? I think I see in your code that it’s conditional to ‘home’. Would I be able to take off that section alone, or will it break?

Thanks again!

michele

braddalton
    Participant

Thanks for the CSS Michele:

Simply change the line the conditional tag is on to this:
    [php]
    if ( is_active_sidebar( ‘full-content’ ) ) {
    [/php]

michelepentecost
    Participant

You’re awesome! Thank you! :D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.