search box position

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks search box position

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tjd 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tjd
    Participant

The Search Box widget, Left-aligns the Box in my right Sidebar. Can I Right-align the Search Box?

It’s the little things that matter…don’tcha know.

Thanx/arrigato.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  tjd. Reason: correction
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  tjd. Reason: correction
    http://www.tomjdolan.com

Seth
    Participant

Go to your stylesheet and find line 1842. You should see the following:

.sidebar .searchform {
    	padding: 5px 0 0 0;
    }

Add:
    float: right;

to that section and it should fix it for you.

Digital marketing consultant. Entrepreneur. Small business crusader. Husband & Father. Roman Catholic. Athlete. Homebrewer. Backyard Vintner. Italophile.
    Website | Twitter | Facebook

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Seth.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Seth.

tjd
    Participant

Thanx Seth for the info. I don’t know how to locate a specific line#, 1842, in the style sheet, but I did find it by scrolling down. I added the ‘float right’ as written, but checked and no change in position. Strange I thought, so,

I deleted it and added it again… but still no position change. Looks like it should work but not this time.

BTW, scrolling down the style sheet I passed by several other sidebar entries and noticed that most of them said ‘left’ and I was wondering what would result if I changed them all to ‘right’…

Thanx again.

jhguynn
    Participant

Did you clear your browser cache before checking to see how it looked?

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  jhguynn.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  jhguynn.

Seth
    Participant

TJD,

Are you editing the stylesheet from within the dashboard editor, or via a local copy which you’re then uploading via FTP? The later is definitely the preferred way, especially if you every make any PHP changes, and not just CSS.

All that being said, try changing the other instances to see what happens, you can always change it back. And as jhguynn mentioned above, always delete your cache after making changes to insure they’ll show up.

Digital marketing consultant. Entrepreneur. Small business crusader. Husband & Father. Roman Catholic. Athlete. Homebrewer. Backyard Vintner. Italophile.
    Website | Twitter | Facebook

tjd
    Participant

Hello again,

I did clear the Safari browser cache, and I additionally checked the results on firefox which I keep on the iMac as a backup/checker. It hadn’t been opened since I put the search box into the sidebar and so I expected a true response and the search box is still right aligned.

I’m not secure enough with code to do anything with php other then add some bits of code that were sent to me by the theme designer, not StudioPress. I redesigned the theme pretty heavily from what I bought and 99% of the changes were in the CSS. Things seem ok although as I now have some distance from the protracted design experience, I will in the future have someone take a look at the code and clean it up which I suspect it needs. I do like the site though.

Thanx to both jh & Seth for your advice. It’s pushing midnite here in Tokyo and I’ve got an early day commin’.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.