Template & Sidebar

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Template & Sidebar

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joseph Lee 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Joseph Lee
    Participant

I have a plugin that uses a page template as it’s “landing” template. It builds pages for itself. I want this template to call a specific sidebar. I don’t want the primary sidebar. I can’t use simple sidebars because these pages are created by the plugin and not listed in the pages area of admin. Nor can I tell the template to use content-sidebar or sidebar-sidebar-content ( you know the settings ).

1. I would like to know how I can still tell the template what to use as far as the structure (content-sidebar-sidebar). I think right now it uses the “default” of the site as it’s setting. I have no way to change it. Is there code to dictate the template’s output as far as it’s structure?

2. I have been using several Studio Press themes. To make a sidebar, I just add it to functions. Then I call the sidebar with PHP. I have never created a sidebar-template.php.  This site looks like it knows what it’s talking about but it uses a sidebar-template.php file.

http://dreamwhisperdesigns.com/genesis-tutorials/load-sidebar-specific-pages/

Do I need to add a sidebar-”X”.php and put code in it, or can I just:

function child_sidebar_logic() {

if ( is_page_template( 'page_blog.php' ) || is_archive() || is_single() ) {

remove_action( 'genesis_after_content', 'genesis_get_sidebar' );

add_action( 'genesis_after_content', 'child_get_blog_sidebar' );

}

}

and register “blog” as a sidebar in my function like I normally do… I’ve never had to make a sidebar-”x”.php when using the framework before.

SoZo

That tutorial should work

John “Nicolas Flamel” Wright | SoZo’s design| John Wright Photography

Joseph Lee
    Participant

I expected a one line response. I thought it would at least answer my question.

The forum support is depressing. Is there no community on this framework?

Joseph Lee
    Participant

You know what, never mind.

There is no reason to provide good customer support. This is not a continual fee basis. I understand that. Perhaps someone at Genesis should consider a subscription with better support. I really regret having purchased the framework. There is no community.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.