Theme Widget Alignment

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Theme Widget Alignment

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 26 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nutsandbolts 1 year ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s correct.

Andrea Whitmer, Owner, Nuts and Bolts Media
    I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

blueivorycreative

So I fixed the “white screen of death” and it let me add all the code that you mentioned. Another widget area was created, but now when I load the page, the website is white. So I can log in and edit the files, unlike before, but the site itself won’t show up. Do you have any idea what could cause this?

blueivorycreative

The issue seemed to have occurred when editing the home page, not the functions.php.

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Okay, can you paste in the contents of your front-page.php?

I provide dev and training services for web designers • Find me on Twitter and Google+

blueivorycreative

<?php
    /**
    * This file adds the Home Page to the Executive Pro Theme.
    * @author StudioPress
    * @package Generate
    * @subpackage Customizations
    */

add_action( ‘genesis_meta’, ‘executive_home_genesis_meta’ );
    /**
    * Add widget support for homepage. If no widgets active, display the default loop.
    */
    function executive_home_genesis_meta() {

if ( is_active_sidebar( ‘home-slider’ ) || is_active_sidebar( ‘home-top’ ) || is_active_sidebar(‘home-second’) || is_active_sidebar( ‘home-cta’ ) || is_active_sidebar( ‘home-middle’ ) ) {

remove_action( ‘genesis_loop’, ‘genesis_do_loop’ );
    add_action( ‘genesis_loop’, ‘executive_home_sections’ );
    add_filter( ‘genesis_pre_get_option_site_layout’, ‘__genesis_return_full_width_content’ );
    add_filter( ‘body_class’, ‘executive_add_home_body_class’ );

}

}

function executive_home_sections() {

genesis_widget_area( ‘home-slider’, array(
    ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”home-slider widget-area”>’,
    ‘after’ => ‘</div>’,
    ) );

genesis_widget_area( ‘home-top’, array(
    ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”home-top widget-area”>’,
    ‘after’ => ‘</div>’,
    ) );
    genesis_widget_area( ‘home-second’, array(
    ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”home-second widget-area”>’,
    ‘after’ => ‘</div>’,
    ) );

genesis_widget_area( ‘home-cta’, array(
    ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”home-cta widget-area”>’,
    ‘after’ => ‘</div>’,
    ) );

genesis_widget_area( ‘home-middle’, array(
    ‘before’ => ‘<div class=”home-middle widget-area”>’,
    ‘after’ => ‘</div>’,
    ) );

}

//* Add body class to home page
    function executive_add_home_body_class( $classes ) {

$classes[] = ‘executive-pro-home';
    return $classes;

}

genesis();

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Okay, that looks fine, so I don’t think the front-page.php is causing the problem. What about functions.php?

It’s so difficult to troubleshoot a site I can’t see, but I’ll do my best to help you get it working!

blueivorycreative

I fixed that issue on my own and the site works and there is the new widget area. However, when I add new widgets to the area, they don’t save in that area. I go to the home page and the widgets aren’t there, and when I go back to the widget page, the widgets aren’t there anymore.

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Hmm, that’s very strange. Unfortunately without being able to log in and look at the site, I don’t know what would cause that. Is there any kind of caching plugin, Cloudflare, etc. active? If so, you might try disabling it while you’re working on the site.

blueivorycreative

I don’t have any caching plugins. I think we’re ready to launch the site — that’s the only thing that needs fixing. If we launch it, would that help you be able to figure out the problem?

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Possibly, though I can’t make any promises – I would probably be able to help much better if I could log into the dashboard and see what’s going on. If your client would be comfortable with that, I’d be glad to take a look. You can email me directly if that’s something you’d like to try.

blueivorycreative

Actually, I just figured it out! There was a missing bracket somewhere in there that was throwing everything off.

Thanks so much for your help! You’ve been very patient and I really appreciate it.

nutsandbolts
    Keymaster

Woohoo! So glad it’s working. Usually when a function isn’t working, it’s something tiny like that – sometimes I can stare at the code for hours and not be able to find the issue.

Could you please mark this thread as resolved so we’ll know you’ve been helped? Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Theme Widget Alignment’ is closed to new replies.