Uh Oh! Editing function.php code crashed site

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Uh Oh! Editing function.php code crashed site

This topic is: resolved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DanielleM 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I was trying to edit the function.php file and crashed my site. Now all I get (backend or published site) is an error code:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/content/40/11426440/html/wp-content/themes/backcountry/functions.php on line 111

I can’t access any menu items on dashboard to activate my backup, reload the theme, or try to correct the problem.

What should I do?

Login to your server using FTP or File Manager in cPanel and download a copy of your child themes functions.php to your desktop as backup.

Then upload a copy of that file from your local backup or a new copy of the theme.

Looks like you are missing a closing curly bracket on line 111.

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate you pin pointing the problem. Now I can learn from my mistake. Problem is solved!

I also received another response from a different forum site. Sharing below just in case someone else has the same problem in the future. Two possible solutions…

You can use FTP (or other file manager your host provides) to deactivate that theme – by changing the name on the theme’s folder – find it here:

backcountryHOLD – add HOLD here

Then reinstall the theme or replace that functions.php file with a new copy.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Uh Oh! Editing function.php code crashed site’ is closed to new replies.