Why you shouldn't fear updating to Genesis 2.0 [from 1.9, but should from 2.0RC2

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Why you shouldn't fear updating to Genesis 2.0 [from 1.9, but should from 2.0RC2

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Mealtog 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

russellj
    Participant

@Gary,

My add_action with an array is vapour-ware, it is just my idea of how add_action could be extended (in a world without priorities)

For example, to add your cool new stuff into the list you just add it to the array of actions as follows:

remove_all_actions( 'genesis_entry_content');
    add_action( 'genesis_entry_content', array( 'genesis_do_post_image', 'genesis_do_post_content' , 'your_new_cool_stuff', 'genesis_do_post_permalink','genesis_do_post_content_nav' ));

To me this is intuitive and flexible: I want to redefine entry_content so I kill the old entry_content and define the new. This works for adding stuff, removing stuff and reordering stuff.

And if I want to change any of the elements, then I can use a filter – assuming each function has an associated filter hook where you can override its behaviour.

For example, if I want to change how the permalink is rendered, I add a filter. This assumes the last thing the genesis_do_post_permalink function does is:

return apply_filters('genesis_post_permalink', $permalink);

Genesis of course already supports this way of overriding components.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  russellj.

Mealtog
    Participant

ok, the technical changes that needs to be edited seems a bit overwhelming and more importantly, manual editing may lead to issues later since it was not done through automation. Here I thought running RC2 would help us transition easier when 2 was released and now this. Should have stuck to 1.9 and waited.

If I wanted to avoid all the technical edits, is it easier to uninstall Genesis and Child theme and re-install WP3.6, using the Reinstall Button for WP and then reinstall Genesis 2 + child theme? We are not too far along in dev and I can probably reconfigure everything from scratch within a day’s work.

Where would we completely uninstall Genesis and start from scratch?

Any thoughts would be most helpful. :(

Mealtog
    Participant

By the way, I am looking at: http://www.diffchecker.com/k1j3cwz7

Is this functions.php for Genesis or the Child Theme or both?

This almost seems easier to start from scratch for those of us still starting a new site. Yikes.

Gary Jones

@Russellj

To me this is intuitive and flexible: I want to redefine entry_content so I kill the old entry_content and define the new. This works for adding stuff, removing stuff and reordering stuff.

And what happens if my social buttons plugin wants to add something in there as well? How will the plugin know what the child theme has set as all of the callbacks, in order? How will the child theme know to let the plugin have its chance at hooking in something?

I really admire that you’re trying to innovate – WordPress wouldn’t be where it is today without it – but I think there’s one or more inherent flaws in your idea still to address, compared to the system we currently have.

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1 and 2.1.1 (all 88 of them!) | @GaryJ

Gary Jones

@Mealtog – there’s really no need to start again – the change from RC2 to final is add_theme_support( ‘genesis-html5′ ) to add_theme_support( ‘html5′ ). If your style sheet covers the .navigation selector, then change it to .pagination. If you were moving some elements around by changing hooks, then you might need to look at the new priorities, but they are simply changing the priorities on what you already have.

The diff that you linked to gives an example of the child theme changes, if you were using any of the bits I’ve just mentioned.

Changes in Genesis 2.1 – the ultimate guide to every single change in Genesis Framework 2.1 and 2.1.1 (all 88 of them!) | @GaryJ

Mealtog
    Participant

Thanks Gary. I can’t spend more time trying to get the tech things ironed out. For me, it was easier to completely uninstall RC2, re-install 1.9.2 then reinstate Metro theme. I thought Drupal setups were complicated lol

I just cannot wait till the new Metro is released.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.