Working with Genesis Child themes

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Working with Genesis Child themes

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anita 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

RoxyJ
    Participant

I just had a question about working with the Genesis child themes. I know that this is probably a silly question, but you never really know how one theme company does things differently from another.

Is it safe to work with the Child theme for editing? Or, is there a best practice for redesigning the Child theme? I ask this because I am familiar with working with child themes in general, but have no experience working with Genesis, and am not sure if they do things a little different.

Do they ever update the child themes, or do they limit updates to the framework (as is usually done)?

So far I’ve been editing the CSS directly in the Child theme files and just wanted to make sure that I was making the changes where they should be. And that all of my hard work wouldn’t be deleted in the next update.

Anita
    Participant

@RoxyJ, as you know – editing and modifying the Genesis Framework is not recommended, however you can modify a child theme as you wish. But keep this in mind – from my personal knowledge of Studiopress themes (not other Genesis child theme designers), when a new theme comes out that is considered an “upgrade” to a previous theme, Brian Gardner always sends out an email about the new theme and what you should do to upgrade your current theme. If the changes area really drastic – such as when Mocha changed, then the recommendation is to install the new theme separately as a new theme because there are too many changes to just copy new code over. When “new versions” come out, there is an email about them and you can also look for new versions under the Download area in my.studiopress.com.

But as a best practice for myself – I install the theme under one of my demos I keep and just review everything before I use it on a LIVE site.

Let me help you customize your theme, responsive header, Buddypress, Agentpress or technical issue!
    Visit me here: Cre8tiveDiva.com | Tweet Me! | Plus Me!
    When asking for help, please provide a link or screen shot showing your problem!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Anita.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Anita.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.