Wrap .site-inner inside a new div

Community Forums Forums Design Tips and Tricks Wrap .site-inner inside a new div

This topic is: not resolved

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Susan Nelson 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

northk

Greetings all,

I’m coming up to speed on Genesis. I want to wrap the <div class=”site-inner”> wrapper in the Genesis Sample child theme with my own full-width wrapper, so it looks like this:

<div class="myclass">
      <div class="site-inner">
      </div>
    </div>

I’ve read several tutorials and I feel comfortable making changes in functions.php but I’m having trouble getting this right. Your help would be appreciated. The purpose is so I can include a background image that is full-width, but begins below the header and navigation.

Thanks!

http://www.highintegritydesign.com/

Susan Nelson
    Participant

Hello!

You could use this in your functions.php file to add structural wraps: http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/structural-wraps/

The markup would look something like this:

<div class="site-inner">
        <div class="wrap">
        </div>
    </div>

Let me know if that doesn’t work for you.

Susan Nelson | Oh, Hello Designs | Twitter | Facebook

northk

Hi Susan,

Thanks for writing back. What I’d like to do is a little different– the <div class=”wrap”> should enclose the <div class=”site-inner”>, rather than the other way around. I’ve read the Genesis tutorials and tried the structural wraps code, but it doesn’t seem to cover this scenario.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Susan Nelson
    Participant

Hmmm…can you just change your .myclass to .site-inner and then use .wrap as you were planning to use .site-inner? It accomplishes the same thing just using different class names. Otherwise, I don’t know of a way to do what you want. Sorry about that!

northk

Also it looks like I might need to generate my own class name since .wrap is already being used for other purposes.

Thanks.

northk

Susan, I thought about doing what you are suggesting– basically apply all the styles used by .site-inner into .wrap, and then apply my own CSS to .site-inner. But the problem is that both .site-inner and .wrap have a lot of css applied in the Genesis Sample style sheet already, including in the media queries. And .wrap is used in other places in the theme.

So I think it might be pretty complicated to do this. I was hoping a simpler solution. Thanks though. Does anyone else know a way to generate my own wrapper code as I’m proposing?

Thanks.

Susan Nelson
    Participant

You could use .site-inner for your main background image and then .site-inner .wrap for the inside part. As long as you put .site-inner in front of .wrap, it won’t affect the other .wraps in the theme.

So, your CSS might look like this:

.site-inner {
        background: url(images/yourimage.png);
    }

.site-inner .wrap {
        background-color: #fff;
    }

It works. I just did it with the Minimum Pro theme. :)

Susan Nelson
    Participant

And the HTML would look like this:

<div class="site-inner">
        <div class="wrap">
        </div>
    </div>

northk

Susan, thanks I’ll try that!
    -NorthK

northk

Susan, it works! (of course you knew that :) Thanks so much. I should have thought of doing it that way, but I got stuck thinking there was only one way to solve the problem. Only change I made was to make the background color transparent for .wrap:

@media only screen and (min-width: 1024px) {
    	.site-inner {
    		max-width: 100%;
    		background-image: url(images/body-background-2.jpg);
    		background-repeat: no-repeat;
    		background-position: right top; 
    	}
    	.site-inner .wrap {
    		background: transparent;
    	}
    }

Thanks again!
    -NorthK

Susan Nelson
    Participant

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help. :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.