Should I use vector images or JPG on my website?

Community Forums Forums General Discussion Should I use vector images or JPG on my website?

This topic is: resolved

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  WiggleChicken 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

WiggleChicken
    Participant

I’m not entirely clear on the best option for graphics on my website. I’m getting ready to design my logo and want it to look great, no matter the screen it’s being viewed on.

I think vector images are .eps files and can’t directly be uploaded to my image file and used on my website. Is that right?

I have a nice drawing app on my iPad. I’d like to draw some images for my website, and also have my logo professionally designed. But I’m not sure if a vector is necessary. The information I’ve been reading doesn’t seem to address this.

I’d love some feedback on this. Thanks!

http://

NigelB
    Participant

Try saving the vector image as a .png and use that on your site; especially if you want it to have a transparent background, otherwise use .jpeg. Just keep image size small as possible so they don’t slow down the page from loading.

braddalton
    Participant

Yes agree. You cannot upload .eps files to the WordPress media library and display them. You can resize the file in Photoshop before you save it as .png then it will be the best quality rather than resizing it after its been converted to a .png.

You can find the image sizes your theme uses in the child themes functions.php file or the child theme read.me file and you can set your own custom image sizes in the media settings.

Specializing In StudioPress Child Theme Customization.
    500+ StudioPress Tutorials

WiggleChicken
    Participant

Oh, I get it now.  :o)

So people like graphic designers use vector images so they can easily resize them. But then they have to save those images as .jpg files.

Great suggestion about finding my theme’s image sizes.

Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Should I use vector images or JPG on my website?’ is closed to new replies.